If you were on Twitter this weekend, you’d know that I spent all Saturday morning baking up a storm. I made oatmeal raisin, cranberry oat bars, and sugar cookies. Here’s the recipe I used for perfectly crisp round buttery bites of perfection typically known as the sugar cookie:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (I added the lemon juice/zest)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll out chilled dough on floured surface to about 1/8-inch thick and cut into desired shapes. (I use a drinking glass to cut out circles, it’s easy and it’s the only thing I had on hand, haha)
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool on the sheets about 1 minute before moving to racks. Decorate as desired.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/cookie/basic_sugar_cookies_recipe.html
I took some of the cookies to a cookie exchange and here are some cell pics of the fabulous treats:
Lemme tell ya, they’re all delicious! The madeleines make for a wonderful compliment to a warm cup of tea.
How was your weekend?